Plan HERe

Routes at the heartland of Heraklion

Small villages surrounded by olive groves and vineyards, next to superb gorges, imposing mountaintops, castles and historical monasteries. The heartland of Heraklion Municipality reveals the Cretan landscape in all its greatness…   


add

Agios Vlasios

Village of "Pindangis" located 12.7 km from the city of Heraklion on the Heraklion - Fortetsa - Vassileies - Agios Vlassis road. It is built on the western slopes of the sacred mount Yuhta at an altitude of 260 meters.
add

Agios Myronas

Main village of the Heraklion Municipal Unit with a rich past and tradition, built on top of the twin hills of ancient Rafkos (one of the 100 cities of the Cretan Ekatompolis [one hundred cities] in Homeric times). The entire village has panoramic views of the area and is located 18 kilometres from Heraklion at an altitude of 440 metres. The ancient city of Rafkos was an independent and powerful city-state with its own currency. It went through troubled times throughout its history and was a member of the Gortynian alliance and an enemy of Knossos and nearby Lykastos. The town is named after Myronas (3rd century) who was a local martyr and also the bishop of Knossos and Gortyna. He suffered during the persecutions of Christians by the Roman Emperor Decius (249 - 251). Agios Myronas (meaning Saint Myronas) is the village’s patron saint.      
add

Agios Syllas

It is a renowned village of the “Paracandia” area, with a long history and tradition. It is located 14 kilometres from the city of Heraklion and is built at the west base of Mount Giouhtas and at an altitude of 569 metres. The village features numerous vineyards and olive groves. Most of its current inhabitants are of refugee descent. The oldest mention of the village, in a document which dates back to 1305, informs us of the presence of two old temples, the temple of Agios Syllas (Agio Sila) and the temple of the Virgin Mary (Santa Maria), which had been destroyed during the 1303 earthquake and were subsequently rebuilt by Rogerius de Rogerios with the help of the villagers.  
add

Ano Asites

Village of the Heraklion Municipal Unit (according to the “Kallikratis” plan), located in a stunning lush area. The village has a great history and a rich tradition. The oldest mention of the village is in a document which dates back to 1393. The village is mentioned in all censuses carried out in Crete from 1577 onwards. Its name comes from the word Assinous or Asites (= from Assos, city of the region of Mysia), who were soldiers that settled in the area after the reconquest of Crete by Nikephoros Phokas (961).   
add

Avgeniki

It is a beautiful and prosperous village of the Municipal Region of Heraklion Municipality. It is built at an altitude of 310 metres and is located 20.7 kilometres from Heraklion on the road to Mesara - Phaistos. The oldest mention of the village under the name of Evgeniki is in a document of the Archivio del Duca (Duke’s Archives) dating back to 1391. The village is mentioned in all censuses carried out in Crete from 1577 onwards. From the Egyptian census (1834) onwards the village is called Avgeniki.        
add

Venerato

The village is actually two different villages (Old Venerato and New Venerato, which are just 200 metres away one from the other) located 20 kilometres from Heraklion on the old road connecting Mesara to Phaistos, at an altitude of 300 metres. The more recent village was created in 1955 and the older one during the Venetian occupation. The oldest mention of the old village is in a document of the Archivio del Duca (Duke’s Archives) dating back to 1369 and since then the village is mentioned in all censuses carried out in Crete.   
add

Siva

Siva is a village and a Municipal District (under the same name) which belongs to the Regional Municipal area of Heraklion Municipality according to the “Kallikratis” Plan. It is built at an altitude of 280 metres and is located 18.2 kilometres from the city of Heraklion on the road connecting Heraklion to Mesara. The oldest mention of the village is in a document dating back to 1378 of the Archivio del Duca (Duke’s Archives) of Khándax. The village is mentioned in all censuses carried out in Crete from 1577 onwards. The village’s most important historical figure of the 19th century (the century of the Cretan revolutions) was Captain Ainikoliotis (born in the hamlet of Agios Nikolaos, area of Harakas) who became known during the 1866 revolution.     
add

Pirgou

On the road to Asites, one kilometre south of Agios Myronas we find the hamlet of Pirgou, about 20 kilometres from Heraklion and at an altitude of 400 metres. The hamlet’s location provides magnificent views of the mountains of Krousonas and the eastern slopes of Psiloritis (Mount Ida). The oldest mention of the village is in a notarial document of 1271 and subsequently, the village was mentioned in many other notarial documents and in documents of the Archivio del Duca (Duke’s Archives). The village is mentioned in all censuses carried out in Crete from 1577 onwards.       
add

Profitis Ilias

It is perhaps the largest village of the Regional Unit of Heraklion Municipality (according to the “Kallikratis” Plan). It is located 19.4 kilometres from the city of Heraklion and is built at the northwest base of the Rocca hill (height: 507.40 metres) and at an altitude of 350 metres. Its wealth matches its rich past. We know for a fact that this area was chosen to build the “capital” of Crete following the Byzantine reconquest of the island in 961 from the Saracens who had previously conquered the island (823 or 828). Thus, it can be confirmed that the area “hosted” a small village during the second Byzantine period.    
add

Petrokefalo

Petrokefalo belongs to Heraklion Municipality of the Regional Unit of Heraklion according to the administrative division of Greece following the implementation of the “Kallikratis” Plan. It is located on the 16th kilometre of the road to Agios Myronas and at an altitude of 340 metres. The oldest mention of the village is in 13th century notarial documents and other subsequent documents of the Archivio del Duca (Duke’s Archives) of Khándax. The village is mentioned in all censuses carried out in Crete from 1577 onwards with its current name (Petrokefalo or Petrokefala).  
add

Pentamodi

A very old village of the Municipal Unit of Heraklion Municipality (according to the “Kallikratis” Plan) which is built at an altitude of 320 metres and about 17 kilometres from the city of Heraklion. The oldest mention of the village is in notarial documents of 1271. It is also mentioned in subsequent contracts. Those contracts reveal that in 1348 the village was an infantry fief which belonged to the lawyer and poet Stefanos Sahlikis who had inherited it from his father. The former lived there until his death after having squandered his entire fortune.    
add

Kato Asites

It is one of the main villages of the Heraklion Regional Municipal Unit. Kato Asites (Assites) is located 22.8 kilometres from the city of Heraklion, at an altitude of 459 metres and is built on the east base of Psiloritis (Mount Ida). To get to the village you need to follow the route Heraklion – Agios Myronas – Pyrgou – Kato Asites. Its name comes from the name of soldiers from the city of Assos of the region of Mysia, who served in Nikephoros Phokas’ army and settled in the area after the Byzantine reconquest of Crete in 961. Thus, the correct name of the village is Assites and not Asites.  
add

Kerasia

The village of Kerasia belongs to Heraklion Municipality (“Kallikratis” Plan) and is located 20 kilometres from the city of Heraklion and at an altitude of 340 metres. It is built on the eastern slopes of the Halepa hill and has great views of the Kerasanos plain, Mount Dikti, the historic Monastery of Paliani and the Kastella hill with Agios Panteleimonas (Saint Panteleimonas) chapel on its top. The oldest mention of the village is in a document of 1248 and subsequently, the village was mentioned in many other documents of the Archivio del Duca (Duke’s Archives).     
add

Kiparissi

Kiparissi is a village of the Regional Municipal Unit of the Municipality of Heraklion, located in the Temenos province (on the 22nd kilometre of the road to Profitis Ilias) and at an altitude of 220 metres. The village offers nice views of the area and its inhabitants work mainly in olive farming and viticulture. A tomb dating back to the first Subneolithic was accidentally discovered in a quarry inside a rock concavity. It contained many clay jars of engraved linear decoration, as well as a boat-shaped figurine, numerous small obsidian knives and various bronze objects (mainly small knives). This is proof that the area was inhabited during the Antiquity. Also, a large rectangular building was unearthed at the “Korfi tou Vatheia” hill.    
add
anchor to top image