Plan HERe

Erotokritos & Aretousa

The bronze sculpture of Erotokritos and Aretousa, located in Kornarou Square, pays tribute to one of the greatest poems of new European literature and perhaps the masterpiece of Cretan literature during Venetian domination, "Erotokritos" by Vitsentzos Kornaros. It was written in  the 17th century and it consists of 10,012 rhyming verses in the fifteen-syllable iambic line written in the Cretan dialect. Erotokritos is a timeless masterpiece about love, honour, friendship, faith and bravery and it is an integral part of local tradition. Christodoulos Halaris has composed music for the poem and it has been sung by a plethora of important artists such as Nikos Xilouris.

add

Eleftherios Venizelos

The statue of Eleftherios Venizelos stands in a prominent location at the Vitturi Bastion, overlooking the sea and the commercial port of the city. Eleftherios K. Venizelos (born in the village of Mournies, prefecture of Chania on August 23, 1864 and died in Paris on March 18, 1936) was a Greek politician who served as Prime Minister of the Cretan State and seven times Prime Minister of Greece. His role in the Cretan Issue was crucial and his actions left their mark on the political events in Greece from 1910 until his death. He organized the Therissos Revolt and in 1910 he was named Prime Minister of the Cretan State. A few months later, following an invitation by the Military League, he resigned in order to serve as Prime Minister of Greece. He brought about many reforms in almost all sectors, aiming at organizing the country to become a civil state.     Artist: Giannis Pappas, Architect: N. Hatzimichalis Location: Opposite Eleftherias Square (Treis Kamares)
add

Unknown Soldier

The sculpture is located in Eleftherias Square in dedication to the services of the thousands of anonymous protagonists of historical events and defenders of freedom. Most modern states honour them by placing a monument commemorating the Unknown Soldier. On National Days and National Holidays, state officials and people lay wreaths and flowers in their memory.  Location: Eleftherias Square 
add

Battle of Crete

The sculpture is located on the east side of Georgiadis Park and represents the brave resistance of the Cretan people against the German invaders during the Battle of Crete on May 20, 1941, considered as one of the most important events of WWII. The German military leadership had decided to attack Crete (an operation codenamed Unternehmen Merkur, "Operation Mercury”) with its elite paratrooper units. The plan had been prepared by the Commander in Chief of the Luftwaffe Hermann Göring and the Vice-Commander in Chief Kurt Student. English, New Zealand and Australian soldiers defended the island. Eventually on May 27, 1941 Chania and Rethymnon were captured and on May 30 the city of Heraklion fell into enemy hands. Heraklion Municipality placed this brilliant monument to honour the heroic resistance of the island's inhabitants.   Artist: Giannis Kanakakis Location: Dimokratias Avenue, East side of Georgiadis Park 
add

El Greco (Doménikos Theotokópoulos)

The sculpture is located in Theotokopoulou Park and represents one of the most important painters of all times, Doménikos Theotokópoulos. Also known as “El Greco”, Doménikos Theotokópoulos was born in Heraklion in 1541 and died in Toledo, Spain, in 1614. He took his first lessons at the Artistic and Grammar School of Saint Catherine. In 1566 he went to Venice, in an effort to broaden his knowledge on the artistic currents of the Italian Renaissance. He started working in Titian's atelier where he stayed for four years working also on Sculpture. He then went to Rome, where he was first nicknamed El Greco.

add

Minas Georgiadis

Minas Georgiadis earned his place in history for his struggle during the Greek Resistance against the Germans. Born in Heraklion, he was known for his integrity, honesty and dynamism. As a result, he was honoured by the people of Heraklion who elected him Mayor in 1934. During the Metaxas Dictatorship (1936) he was exiled to Athens. During the German occupation, he was arrested, jailed and tortured. After a short while he was executed in Gazi (June 2, 1942) along with the 62 Martyrs. The city of Heraklion, in honour to his memory, placed a marble bust of him in a park that is named after him as well (Georgiadis Park).  Location: Georgiadis Park
add

Daskalogiannis

The sculpture depicts Ioannis Vlachos, nicknamed "Daskalogiannis" for his great education. He was born in Anopoli of Sfakia (1722). His real name was Ioannis Vlachos. He was a close personal friend of the Benakis family from Mani and of the Russian Admiral Orlov. He travelled to Russia from where he brought weapons for the revolution that followed. Leading a group of 1,300 rebels from the area of Sfakia, he launched the Revolution in Sfakia in 1769. The revolution was a success and Daskalogiannis fought bravely, but when things got difficult, he turned himself in, in order to avoid retaliation against his compatriots. He was transferred and imprisoned in Koules, Heraklion.

add

THE DANCER

The sculpture entitled “The Dancer” was created by Man. Tzompanakis and is located in Theotokopoulou Park. It portrays a woman who is dancing. 

Artist: Manolis Tzompanakis

Location: Theotokopoulou Park

 

add

As years go by

The sculpture “As years go by” (Χρόνο με το Χρόνο) is a creation by Manolis Harkoutsis under the campaign to save and promote the ancient olive trees of Crete launched by the Technological Educational Institute of Crete and various cultural associations.

Artist: Manolis Harkoutsis

Location: Forecourt of the Natural History Museum of Crete (temporary location)

 

add

Mother

A sculpture dedicated to the dearest of all creatures, the Mother! It is located in Faneromeni Square (opposite Heraklion Cultural and Conference Centre).  

Artist:  Tzompanakis Emmanouil

Location: Faneromeni Square (opposite Heraklion Cultural and Conference Centre)

 

add

«Venus»

It is a Gortynian marble sculpture by Italian artist Alessio Ranaldi located on the western seafront of Heraklion (2014 International Sculpture Symposium, village of Venerato. Organised by Heraklion Municipality). The symposium was dedicated to the great Cretan painter Doménikos Theotokópoulos.     Title: “Venus” Artist:  Alessio Ranaldi Location: Heraklion western seafront   http://www.heraklionsculptures.gr/venus-%ce%b4%ce%b9%ce%b5%ce%b8%ce%bd%ce%ad%cf%82-%cf%83%cf%85%ce%bc%cf%80%cf%8c%cf%83%ce%b9%ce%bf-%ce%b3%ce%bb%cf%85%cf%80%cf%84%ce%b9%ce%ba%ce%ae%cf%82-2014/
add

Olympic Harmony

The sculpture “Olympic Harmony” is located in the park next to the bus station (KTEL). It was unveiled in August 2002 to celebrate the 2004 Olympic Games held in Athens.    Artist: Manolis Aggelidakis Location: In the park next to the bus station (KTEL)   http://www.heraklionsculptures.gr/%ce%bf%ce%bb%cf%85%c2%b5%cf%80%ce%b9%ce%b1%ce%ba%ce%ae-%ce%b1%cf%81%c2%b5%ce%bf%ce%bd%ce%af%ce%b1/  
add

Kornarou Square Sebil (Charity Fountain)

Back in 1776, it was the particular importance attributed to water by Islam that prompted Haci Ibrahim Agha, a wealthy citizen of Heraklion, to build a sebil (charity fountain). Being a Muslim neighbourhood, the area next to the fountain soon attracted many cafés which became the meeting point for worshippers, especially during the Ramadan, along with the nearby Valide Mosque. All semicircular windows of the small round building had a fountain below them and an inscription (written in old Ottoman) on the upper part of one of the walls reminded that “water if the source of everything”.     
add

Idomeneus Fountain

It was built in the late 17th century and is currently located behind the city’s Historical Museum. The fountain is highlighted by two columns with capitals featuring flora-themed decorative elements. In their middle and within an arch-like structure we find a marble bas-relief plaque. Water streamed from an opening underneath the plaque and into a marble bowl.       
add

Hanialis Fountain

Hanialis Fountain is located next to the outer part of Agios Georgios Gate below the statue of Eleftherios Venizelos. Its top features flora-themed decorative elements and its tap lies within a marble bas-relief frame. The water streamed into a marble bowl featuring similar decorative elements.   
add

Genitsar Agha Fountain

It is currently located on Ikarou Avenue, next to the Inscriptions Collection. An elaborate tap is located within an arch-like structure surrounded by two large semi-columns decorated with rosettes.    
add

Sagredo Fountain

It was built by Giovanni Sagredo between 1602 and 1604. Part of the fountain has been walled in the northwest side of the Loggia and is decorated with a statue of a woman figure, which, according to Gerola’s description, was quite possibly holding a shield with her left hand and a kind of sledgehammer (large hammer) with the her right hand. It is thought that it was an impersonation of Crete.     
add

Μοrosini Fountain (Lions Square)

One of the most famous fountains of Heraklion and a reference point for both its residents and visitors, Morosini Fountain is currently one of the most beautiful monuments of the city. It was built by the Provveditore Generale Francesco Morosini in 1628, who, using a rather complex - at the time - pipeline system, managed to bring water from the springs of Archanes to the thirsty city of Khándax. The octalobe cistern was placed on a special base and was decorated with bas-relief mythological representations and sea creatures, such as mermen, dolphins, and various coats of arms, while water was pouring from the mouths of the four lions. The top of the fountain was dominated by a supernatural statue of Poseidon, which, however, collapsed, probably during an earthquake. During Ottoman rule, the fountain underwent a rather poor re-configuration and a cage-like structure was placed around it which was subsequently removed.    
add

Priuli Fountain

It was built by the Provveditore Generale Antonio Priuli in 1666 and it is currently located behind the Bodosakeio Primary School (area of Dermatas Gate). It is decorated with columns and semi-columns, with Corinthian capitals, while the whole structure is crowned with a triangular pediment. Both sides of the columns feature alcoves whose metopes are elaborately decorated. In the middle of the fountain there is an inscription in Turkish of the name of the Pasha who managed to bring water back to the fountain.  
add

Bembo Fountain

In the mid-16th century, Candia's military commander, Gianmatteo Bembo, built an aqueduct to supply the city with spring water. The fountain, which was named after him, belonged to the nearby temple of San Salvatore and is decorated with a statue of the Roman period, marble columns and the coats of arms of Venetian officials while the bowl into which the water pours is also from the Roman period. During Ottoman rule, the fountain remained in use and served those Muslims who wanted to be purified before entering the Valide Mosque, which was the name that had been given to the temple of San Salvatore at that time.   
add

Sempil Ibrahim Aga

Η ιδιαίτερη σημασία που η μουσουλμανική θρησκεία αποδίδει στο νερό, ώθησε στα 1776 έναν πλούσιο κάτοικο της πόλης, τον Χατζή Ιμπραήμ Αγά, να κατασκευάσει μια φιλανθρωπική κρήνη, ένα σεμπίλι. Καθώς, μάλιστα, η ευρύτερη περιοχή ήταν μουσουλμανική συνοικία, γύρω από την κρήνη δημιουργήθηκαν καφενεία που, σε συνδυασμό με το παρακείμενο Βαλιδέ Τζαμί, αποτελούσαν χώρο συγκέντρωσης των πιστών, ειδικά την περίοδο της γιορτής του Ραμαζανιού. Το μικρό στρογγυλό κτήριο, περιβαλλόταν από ημικυκλικά παράθυρα, κάτω από τα οποία υπήρχαν αντίστοιχες βρύσες, ενώ ψηλά στη μία πλευρά του, μια επιγραφή στην παλιά τουρκική γραφή, επισημαίνει ότι «το νερό είναι η πηγή των πάντων».   
add
anchor to top image