Plan HERe

Map

sd

 

 

DOWNLOAD HERAKLION ROUTES MAP


 

 

 

s

 

 

 

HERAKLION ROUTES SEPARATELY


 

 

ROUTE 1 

 

PHOTO

LOCATION

DESCRIPTION

 

1

1

VENETIAN PORT – The SHIPYARDS of Heraklion are located at the end of 25th August Street. The Sea Fort (ROCCA a MARE) dominates the northern entrance, while the impressive arches of the shipyards and the Salt warehouse are located to the south. 

2

2

The VENETIAN FORTRESS ROCCA a MARE or Castello del Molo or Koules was built by the Venetians to protect the dock and the port.  It took its final form between 1523 and 1540.   

3

3

The TEMPLE OF St PETER the MARTYR was built during the first years of the Venetian rule to serve as the Katholikon of the Dominican order.  It was one of the town’s largest temples, and various chapels were added to it. The building which has been restored, sustained serious damage between the 14th and the 18th century caused by various earthquakes.

4

4

The HISTORICAL MUSEUM of Crete was founded in 1953 and is housed in a neoclassical building of exceptional architectural merit. It covers a period of seventeen centuries of local history and culture, from the early Christian centuries to modern times. 

5

5

The DERMATAS GATE is located approximately in the middle of the coastal Venetian wall overlooking a gulf of the same name.  At present, only a part of its side facing the city is visible, while its exit towards the sea is seen under the current coastal avenue.

6

6

The PRIULI FOUNTAIN or Fontana Nuova or Delimarkou Fountain, is an excellent example of Renaissance architecture.  It was built around 1666 by the Provveditore Generale Antonio Priuli.

7

7

The NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM of Crete operates as part of the University of Crete. It is housed in the old Power Station, next to the Gulf of Dermatas.  

       

 

 

 

 

ROUTE 2

 

PHOTO

LOCATION

DESCRIPTION

 

8

8

The SABIONARA GATE is located at the northwest corner of the bastion of the same name and in the past it led towards the inner part of the city through a strong uphill slope. Its exit to the sea is unadorned while its inner part has an elegant, elaborate pedimented façade. Right above the gate, overlooking the Venetian port, there is a wonderful parkland with benches.

9

9

The ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM of Heraklion is the world’s most significant museum for the Minoan Civilization. Its current building was constructed between 1933 and 1937 based on the designs by the architect P. Karandinos, and occupies the site of the Venetian monastery of St Francesco which was destroyed by an earthquake in 1856.

10

10

The ELEFTHERIAS SQUARE, the open space created during the Venetian rule in front of the gate of Agios Georgios and the barracks (the current building of the Region of Crete), was used mainly as Campo Marzio, that is, a military practice area.

11

11

The AGIOS GEORGIOS GATE was one of the central gates of Candia during the Venetian period.  Today it connects Eleftherias Square to Ikarou Avenue and is also used for exhibitions. Its impressive façade was demolished in 1917.

12

12

The GATE OF JESUS was one of the three main entrances to the city. It is located next to the bastion of the same name, on the south side of the fortification of Candia.  It was recently restored to become accessible to the public. At present, it houses the permanent exhibition dedicated to N. Kazantzakis entitled "AN ODYSSEY”.   

13

13

The TOMB OF NIKOS KAZANTZAKIS, the famous Greek writer, is located on the highest point of the Venetian fortification, at the Martinengo Bastion.

14

14

The PANTOKRATORAS GATE was the main communication channel between the city and the western districts of the island. Its construction was completed in 1570.  Its monumental façade was the work of the Italian architect and engineer Michele Sanmicheli. Part of its interior was used during WWII as an air-raid shelter.

       

 

 

ROUTE 3

 

PHOTO

LOCATION

DESCRIPTION

 

15

15

The MAKASI GALLERY, with an overall length of 110m, is one of the many military galleries of the Venetian fortification which connected the inner city to the eastern Piazza Bassa of Martinengo bastion.

16

16

“Manos Hatzidakis Open-Air Garden Theatre”. One of the distinctive features of the bastion was the piazza bassa (lit. "Low square"), constructed in the bastion flank, at the point where the bastion reached the curtain wall, built at an intermediate level between the trench and the scarp. Today the piazze basse have been fully restored and converted into venues for various cultural events. Theatrical plays and concerts are held in the piazza bassa located at the Bastion of Jesus. 

17

17

“Nikos Kazantzakis Open-Air Garden Theatre” The trench and the surrounding earthworks were designed to keep the enemy as far from the enceinte as possible. The greater part of the original trench protecting the landward side of Candia survives to this day.  The trench has been turned over to the public and converted into parks and entertainment venues like the “Nikos Kazantzakis Open-Air Garden Theatre” in the part of the trench between the Bastion of Jesus and Martinengo Bastion.

18

18

The BEMBO FOUNTAIN – SEBIL was constructed between 1552 and 1554 by the Capitano Gianmatteo Bembo, who was the first one to build an aqueduct to supply Candia with spring water. The “charity” fountain (Sebil) was built in 1776 by Haci Ibrahim Agha. 

19

19

1866 Str. THE TRADITIONAL MARKET is situated along 1866 Str., which has been one of the most commercial streets since the Venetian and Ottoman era. At that time it was also the road which connected the city centre to the Ducal Palace and the Saint Mark’s Cathedral to the prominent temple of Christ the Saviour (San Salvatore). 

20

20

The BUILDING OF THE REGION OF CRETE - COURTHOUSE The present day building complex consisting of the building of the Region of Crete and the Courthouse arose from the Turkish barracks which replaced the Venetian barracks of Agios Georgios.

       

 

 

 

ROUTE 4 (ROUTE VENETIAN PORT – CULTURAL CENTRE)

 

PHOTO

LOCATION

DESCRIPTION

 

21

21

25th AUGUST STREET is the main road connecting the port to the city centre. It is considered to be one of the most significant roads throughout Heraklion's long history. 

22

22

The TEMPLE OF AGIOS TITOS (Saint Titus, first bishop of Crete) is one of the most interesting religious monuments in the city centre.  The holy skull of the Saint is kept at the church.

23

23

LOGGIA - HERAKLION TOWN HALL is housed in the reconstructed building of Loggia - Armeria.  The Venetian Loggia (officers & merchant’s club) was built approximately in 1628 by the Provveditore Generale Fransesco Morosini.  The Venetian armoury (Armeria) and the Sagredo Fountain are located next to the Loggia building.

24

24

The SAINT MARK’S BASILICA (the patron saint of Venice) is the temple which houses the Municipal Art Gallery. From its initial construction in 1239 until 1956, when restoration works began, the monument underwent numerous changes.

25

25

The MOROSINI FOUNTAIN (Lions fountain), built by Francesco Morosini in 1628, is the best known fountain of the city.  Following maintenance works, the fountain is currently one of the most impressive Venetian monuments of the city.

26

26

The MUSEUM OF CHRISTIAN ART is housed in the cruciform Temple of Saint Catherine which is located at the very heart of Heraklion, near Agios Minas which is both the former and the current Metropolis (orthodox equivalent of a Cathedral) of Heraklion. The permanent exhibition of the museum is dedicated mainly to the Cretan ecclesiastical art (14th - 19th centuries) and features important icons of Michael Damaskenos.  

27

27

The AGIOS MINAS (SAINT MINAS) CATHEDRAL. The new cathedral of the city was built next to the Chapel of Agios Minas and of the Virgin Mary Pantanassa (Queen of All) and it was consecrated to Saint Minas, patron saint and protector of Heraklion. The construction works began in 1862 but the temple was not completed until 1895.

28

28

The TEMPLE  OF AGIOS MATTHAIOS (SAINT MATTHEW). It was built in the early 17th century, occupying the site of an older Byzantine temple which had been destroyed by an earthquake. Following the Ottoman conquest, it was given as a metochion (small monastic establishment) to the Saint Catherine’s Orthodox Monastery of Mount Sinai, to counterbalance the conversion of the temple of Saint Catherine into a mosque. The church houses a collection of icons, including major works of the Cretan School of Iconography. 

29

29

The CULTURAL CENTRE The Heraklion Cultural and Conference Centre comprises a complex of 5 buildings with all the appropriate infrastructure and equipment to accommodate a variety of events.

30

30

The VENETIAN FORTIFICATION is still standing today, embracing the old town and was designed according to the new “Bastion system”. The outside perimeter featured a deep trench. Construction was completed in the early 17th century. Thanks to its new walls, Candia was able to withstand the siege by the Ottoman army for more than 20 years (1648 - 1669).  

       

 

 

ROUTE 5 (GULF OF DERMATAS -  ELEFTHERIAS SQUARE) 

 

PHOTO

LOCATION

DESCRIPTION 

 

5

5

The DERMATAS GATE is located approximately in the middle of the coastal Venetian wall overlooking a gulf of the same name.  At present, only a part of its side facing the city is visible, while its exit towards the sea is seen beneath the current coastal avenue.

4

4

The HISTORICAL MUSEUM of Crete was founded in 1953 and is housed in a neoclassical building of exceptional architectural merit. It covers a period of seventeen centuries of local history and culture, from the early Christian centuries to modern times. 

25

25

The MOROSINI FOUNTAIN (Lions fountain), built by Francesco Morosini in 1628, is the best known fountain of the city.  Following maintenance works, the fountain is currently one of the most impressive Venetian monuments of the city.

       

 

 

 

 

 

 

add
anchor to top image