Plan HERe














VENETIAN PORT – The SHIPYARDS of Heraklion are located at the end of 25th August Street. The Sea Fort (ROCCA a MARE) dominates the northern entrance, while the impressive arches of the shipyards and the Salt warehouse are located to the south. 

The VENETIAN FORTRESS ROCCA a MARE or Castello del Molo or Koules was built by the Venetians to protect the dock and the port.  It took its final form between 1523 and 1540.   



The SABIONARA GATE is located at the northwest corner of the bastion of the same name and in the past it led towards the inner part of the city through a strong uphill slope. Its exit to the sea is unadorned while its inner part has an elegant, elaborate pedimented façade. Right above the gate, overlooking the Venetian port, there is a wonderful parkland with benches.

The ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM of Heraklion is the world’s most significant museum for the Minoan Civilization. Its current building was constructed between 1933 and 1937 based on the designs by the architect P. Karandinos, and occupies the site of the Venetian monastery of St Francesco which was destroyed by an earthquake in 1856.




The MAKASI GALLERY, with an overall length of 110m, is one of the many military galleries of the Venetian fortification which connected the inner city to the eastern Piazza Bassa of Martinengo bastion.

“Manos Hatzidakis Open-Air Garden Theatre”. One of the distinctive features of the bastion was the piazza bassa (lit. "Low square"), constructed in the bastion flank, at the point where the bastion reached the curtain wall, built at an intermediate level between the trench and the scarp. Today the piazze basse have been fully restored and converted into venues for various cultural events. Theatrical plays and concerts are held in the piazza bassa located at the Bastion of Jesus. 



25th AUGUST STREET is the main road connecting the port to the city centre. It is considered to be one of the most significant roads throughout Heraklion's long history. 

The TEMPLE OF AGIOS TITOS (Saint Titus, first bishop of Crete) is one of the most interesting religious monuments in the city centre.  The holy skull of the Saint is kept at the church.




The DERMATAS GATE is located approximately in the middle of the coastal Venetian wall overlooking a gulf of the same name.  At present, only a part of its side facing the city is visible, while its exit towards the sea is seen beneath the current coastal avenue.

The HISTORICAL MUSEUM of Crete was founded in 1953 and is housed in a neoclassical building of exceptional architectural merit. It covers a period of seventeen centuries of local history and culture, from the early Christian centuries to modern times. 

anchor to top image